From:
Mark Zmyewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 1996 12:47:14 -0500
Hi,

I may need some help.  About 2 1/2 weeks ago all three of my guys developed
green, slimy, loose stools.  My vet started treating them for coccidiosis
with 0.5cc Albon.  Two of the three got better (meaning that their stools
took on a regular-type shape, were more solid, but were still kind of
yellowish), but Boomer (1.5 years old) stayed green and loose.  Last weekend
we switched him to 0.5cc Amoxicillin, twice daily.  I missed one on his
treatments on Tuesday and one on Friday due to my heavy workload and some
miscommunication with my roommate.  I hope I haven't caused much harm, but
his stool is back to green glop.  I guess I'll take him in for bloodwork
today (Sunday).

I have serveral questions for anyone who can offer me some help:

1).  Has coccidia been known to act this way?  I mean, after treatment with
Albon, then Amoxicillin, should Boomer's stool still be green and unformed?
(His stools were better throughout the week...kinda brownish, formed, but
"seedy".  The green came back either late Friday or early Saturday.)

2).  Could it possibly be ECE?  Even though I doubt it, I would just like to
know.  None have shown any signs lethargy.  All three are eating, drinking,
playing like they're "normal".  All three have (and have had throughout this
stuff) normal temperatures.

3).  I'm supposed to take all three of them to the GDFA show in Atlanta next
weekend.  Do I dare?  Both Buster's and Snookie's stools are normal shaped,
even though Buster's are "seedy"/"grainy" and kinda yellowish/brown.  If I
treat Boomer this week and his stool changes from green to "normal"-ish, can
I take him?  If the three have been exposed to coccidia and I take them to
the show, can the judges infect other ferrets after handling mine or is it
*only* transmitted via direct contact with feces?

4).  Have the three actually been exposed to coccidia at all or could it be
something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

On to the subject of the rabies studies.  Sometimes I really hate this form
of communication because the intent is not always recognized unless
accompanied by alot of smiley faces and stuff.  The inflection in the voice,
body language, ectetera, are lost.  I'm not sure how many people may have
taken my post about rabies studies the wrong way, but I'll try again.  If
others still don't agree with my stance, so be it.  The FML has had too much
online bickering to start yet another case of it.

If a ferret of mine were ever infected with rabies and a clinic/doctor
(etc.) thought that they/he/she had developed a vaccine/pill/incantation
(ok, maybe not the incantation thing) that could possibly cure my ferret of
rabies, I would "donate" him to that "study".  We do have a vaccine to
*prevent* rabies, but none to *cure* it.  THIS, *and* a quarantine period
(rather than immediate decapitation) is what I would like to see eventually
develop.  Four kits were destroyed here a few weeks ago because a woman let
her child stick her fingers into the ferret cage at the pet store.  The
mother complained and the authorities swooped in and took all four kits and
decapitated them without blinking an eye.  No quarantine period.  Nothing.
How sad.  If this had happened with one of the several kittens, puppies
and/or rats in that same pet store, all would be fine.

I'm not sure where I stand on the continued shedding studies.  Part of me
thinks that we can always learn from continued study.  Maybe by continuing
to study shedding a scientist might happen upon something that could
eventually lead to a cure.  (Then again, I've been accused of being an
eternal optimist on certain subject!)

That's the end of what I have to say on that subject.

-Mark Zmyewski
 Lockheed Martin Missiles & Space
 Huntsville, Alabama