From:
Richard & Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 19:07:01 -0400
Just a brief update of the Florida rabies/quarantine bill.  The Bill passed
in the House yesterday unanimously (116-0).  It has now been ordered
enrolled to the Senate.  Both houses have introduced identical bills, but,
to my understanding, since the House passed its bill first, that same bill
will be referred to the Senate.  The Bill has been through two readings in
the Senate already.  What we think will happen is that the Senate sponsor
(Senator Forman) will introduce the House Bill for a third reading in the
Senate, announcing at the same time that it passed in the House, as amended.
After the vote (and I KNOW it will pass), all it has to do is go to Governor
Chiles for his signature.

We are almost there!  For those not familiar with the Bill, it has actually
become a revision to the dog and cat law.  The words "and ferrets" has been
added, requiring a 10-day quarantine in bite incidents with proof of rabies
vaccination.  It also requires that ferrets be vaccinated for rabies.  I
believe it would take effect in January 1999, but am not sure and I don't
have the legislative web site address at home.

I'll try to keep you updated.

Katharine