From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:38:22 -0500
Okay I wrote:
>Man thanks to Regina who answered my query about techniques for wearing
>shoes with stiff soles and still being safe with the ferrets.

instead of "Many thanks", but don't worry, I made it correct: I got Steve
to say "Thanks, Regina!"

Thanks also to Ardith for her idea for shoes or casts.  (I don't know if
I'll wind up with a cast or with an op and a cast, but those do happen
at times with this problem so I'd rather learn safety tips beforehand to
keep all the furries as happy as can be.)

And, Lynda, thanks for such a lovely note.

Of course, always thank you, Bill, for making the FML possible.

With Ashling not feeling well we got a pouch apron on a deep sale from
the the Ferret Store.  She loves it so much that I have had to hang it on
a door knob and she climbs into pouch (good exercise) and won't let the
others in!  Monday is her next blood testing (now every two weeks) and
she'll also have urine specific gravity done.  Ashling is our wonderful
one who loses fur with stress (not adrenal in her case since she lost
both cleanly years ago and lives on Forinef and Pred, but that is what
compromised her follicles), and for those who don't know about a month
and a half ago we found her passed out, 93.4 F (when she should be around
102'F) and with barely a heart beat and barely breathing, and poor young
Hilbert trying to keep her warm.  She got oral sugars, warming in a 105'F
bath, and gentle cheek puffs mouth to nose-and-mouth, and a ride in the
wee hours to the emergency clinic.  We've been hoping for plain old
insulinoma, but she might have lymphoma (nodal aspirates not conclusive
and her tests show that she is not up to surgery), so she having her
pancreas, liver (which is improving) and now kidneys (which were
worsening between the last two sets of tests) checked regularly and she
is on Prednisolone, concentrated and flavored by a compounding pharmacy
(Bellevidiere in NJ) to reduce volume and stress.  She is LOVING forcing
us to wait on her hand and foot and getting her way in most things.

Oh, since she dislikes meds I have found a way to stop her from opening
the bathroom door to join either of us when we are -- ummmm -- taking
care of functions.  The door, which does not latch thanks to local quarry
blasts causing resettling, is easy for her to nose open but now we say,
"Yucko Medicine in bathtub!" and her tail bottle brushes and she runs
from the room.  Having words which ferrets know can be useful in so many
unexpected ways!

Okay, I figure everyone needs a few good laughs.  This was frustrating at
the time, but now aides and home changes are set up and a lot more done,
so we can laugh about it.  We have an aunt and uncle who are 85 and 95
who had not given anyone (family, lawyer, friends -- no one) Power of
Attorney but both became senile at about the same time.  (The medical
term is "lack capacity".)  With their agreement a niece on the other side
of the family helped them find and move into a facility, but as they
worsened they forgot that they had anything to do with it and figured
they had been "put" there.  Well, a few weeks ago is when this happened
and when you think about it this is a scene which would have been
incredible to witness: They called a moving company and convinced the
movers to load their belongings and THEM (with one of them in a
wheelchair) into a MOVING VAN and take them back to their house!  Yes,
folks, reality IS stranger than fiction!

Now you know what part of what our life is like recently.  Until the
last few weeks I hadn't thought we'd have been so comedic... Now I know
why some people figure their lives could be fuel for televised farce.