From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:04:31 -0500
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=6592&startid=6593

HI Patty,

You have asked some good questions about how to treat your ferret with
diabetes.  I will try to answer them.

1) What type of insulin to use?

This is a very good question.  The short answer is PZI VET insulin from
Idexx.  NPH is an intermediated-acting insulin, and it is the best
insulin for dogs.  Ultralente insulin is a long acting insulin, and it
is the second choice for cats and ferrets.  The PZI VET insulin is a
beef insulin product that is the first choice for cats and ferrets.
Interestingly there has been very little work done with ferret insulin.
Cat insulin is very close to cow insulin.  That is why PZI works well in
cats.  I have asked Dr James Fox (the lab vet at MIT) about which insulin
is closet to ferret insulin, but that research just has not been done.
However in my experience the PZI VET insulin works best, so perhaps
ferret insulin is close to cat (and cow) insulin.

I would recommend starting at 1 Unit/ferret 2 times a day of the PZI VET
insulin.  PZI is a 40 unit per ml (U-40) product, so you will need U-40
syringes.

2) What diet should I use?

The "ideal diet" for diabetic ferrest would have a high protein content
50-60%, high fat 30-40%, with a very low carbohydrate content only 1-5%,
vitamins/minerals/etc.  Thus Gerber's baby food, Hill's a/d, and the new
Pretty Bird ferret food should be used as a supplement or as the main
diet.  Also treats need to be low carbohydrate such as cooked meats,
cooked eggs, canned tuna/chicken/salmon, baby food, a/d.  The new Hill's
canned m/d or Purina canned DM may also be good options.

3) What about chromium?

Chromium or brewer's yeast has insulin like activity and can help lower
the glucose level.  A suggested dose of chromium is 20-200 mcg/ day,
divided and mixed in with the food.

4) What about Lupron?

If your ferret is showing signs of adrenal gland disease then I
would recommend Lupron (or surgery when you get the glucose regulated).
A small percent (~5%) of ferrets with adrenal gland disease will
overproduce cortisol.  Cortisol will elevate the glucose level and may
cause diabetes.

Hope that helps,
Jerry Murray, DVM