From:
Heidi Lepak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 07:45:15 -0400
I lived in Puerto Rico for 17 years and actually bought my first ferret
there in 1984 when they were considered legal.  About 2 years later they
stopped selling ferrets and people coming into the island had to have
"permisos" from the Health Department to bring them in.  Soon after that,
the only way to have a ferret in PR was to either adopt one that was
already there, or to smuggle on in.  Many people did this, including my
husband.

With all the heightened security, I doubt that this would be possible
anymore.

I had wanted to move out of PR to come back to the states but was afraid
that I would not be able to leave with my ferrets.  Then in 1999 the
departmento de recursos naturales decided to grant amnesty to all the
exotics on the island.  Immediately I applied.  A year later I still had
not gotten my paper work and it was getting close to my departure date.
I called the departmento and explained that I had applied for amnesty and
wanted to leave.  They finally sent me export permits, which allowed me
to legally leave with my 2 ferrets, but I would not be able to return
with them.  I left, flying Delta which is the ferret friendly airlines,
the only one allowing ferrets to fly in the cabin with you.

There is a lot of rabies on the island, but mostly it is in the mongoose.
The problem is uneducated people thinking that the ferret could mate with
the mongoose, DUMB!  But unfortunately it makes it impossible to have
ferrets there.  I have gotten a lot of e-mails from people who have had
ferrets that have died and wold like to get another one, but I am not
been able to help them, And that is so sad.  Once a ferret lover, always
a ferret lover.

I'm so sorry for your situation.  Too bad you can't just go for a visit,
and return to your ferrets.  Maybe a friend will take care of them while
you are gone.  You may be shocked at life in PR and not want to remain
there.

If I can be of any other help, please do not hesitate to e-mail me.

Heidi
Come see our ferrets...
www.geocities.com/huronna