From:
FerretMomJC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:57:24 -0800
 Subject: PETsMART Response
 Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:30:23 -0700
 From: "Customer Service \(SSG\)"
 To: "FerretMomJC"

Dear Customer,

Thank you for writing to us with your concerns regarding the sale of
ferrets at PETsMART.

Right now, PETsMART is testing the sale of ferrets in four stores in
the United States.  We decided to test the sale of ferrets because our
customers have expressed a demand for them and because we believe they
can make good and appropriate pets for those who appreciate and
understand how to properly care for them.

Ferrets sold during our test period are spayed or neutered, de-scented,
vaccinated against rabies and have received their first set of distemper
shots.  The testing period will run through January.  Once the tests are
complete, well make a decision as to how well move forward, doing
whats in the best interest of pets.  Again, we only will sell pets that
we believe make good and appropriate family members.

Adoption is still a top priority.  We allow local humane agencies to
bring in various pets for adoption, such as small animals, even though
the same kind of pet may be in-store for sale; many of our PETsMART
Charities Adoption Centers already partner with local adoption groups to
find homeless ferrets lifelong, loving homes.

Our goal is to help all potential pet parents to fully understand the
responsibility they are assuming for the health and welfare of their pet
to help them make an informed decision.  PETsMART associates are trained
to educate customers about feeding techniques, daily care requirements
and typical behavior patterns of small pets, including ferrets.

Bringing a pet ferret into a family is a significant decision, requiring
dedication and commitment.  Our customer research shows that we attract
customers who think of pets as family members and care for them
accordingly.  Again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns
with us.

If you wish to discuss this issue further, please contact Customer
Service Manager, Jim Davis, at 623-587-2513.

Sincerely,

Anna
Customer Service