From:
Jenna Leigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 15:07:21 -0700
I wrote to a "friend" hoping for some sympathy and advice.  Instead I
received zero sympathy what-so-ever:

Me:
>>My cats can stay here - they take care of themselves.  But no one else in
>>the household is comfortable with the ferret.

Them:
>It would definately not be good in a dorm!  They are still a controversial
>pet.  I can tell you Sera wouldn't welcome her here but someone might like
>to take her.  Or trust your mom.

Me:
>>My mom would at least try to take care of her, but for one thing she's
>>got a LOT of other stuff to take care of - it'll be more when I'm gone as
>>it is - and for another, frankly she's still intimidated by my ferret due
>>to the fact that a ferret is not as normal a pet

Them:
>Agree there!!!  But trust your family or find a new owner you know
>will love her.

Me:
>>So I'm really aggravated with my potential college right now.

Them:
>I'm afraid you'd have to search fairly far for a pet friendly campus.
>Actually I think Reed is but its not in your area of study.  It is one of
>those hard facts of life you adjust to in growing up.  I've left many pets
>and was happy when I finally got an apartment that allowed pets.  Then I
>had to put that cat down.  You'll have pets again.  It is very sad you
>will be parted from your ferret.  Enjoy the days you have.  And try to
>find her a good home.

I can't believe this!  People (even my friends) act like getting rid of my
ferret should be as simple and logical as giving up a material possession.
Giving Kaz (my ferret) away so that I can go to college is out of the
question.  I don't care how stupid it may sound to anyone else, but I would
no sooner do that to her than I would to *human* children.  I've spent
three years mothering and getting to know my one and only ferret.  I
respect her highly as a fellow life-form.  I can't believe no one else I
know in the world respects and appreciates animals the way that I do.
Everyone thinks I'm insane for being so determined not to be separated
from my ferret.

Several of you wrote to me suggesting that I consider living in an
apartment or something outside of the school-sponsored-housing.  Believe
me, I've considered that and it's my greatest wish.  But my parents are
kind of in control at the moment, and considering the fact that my school
is located in Seattle, WA, they're certain that school-sponsored housing
will be the cheapest and thus the only way to go.  It is very difficult to
get them even to consider other options.  That's why I'm trying to come up
with *other* alternatives yet, since the alternate housing thing isn't
looking too good at the moment.  At worst, I was wondering if perhaps there
was a group of ferret lovers located in Seattle who might know of a place
(a ferret-savvy family perhaps) that would be willing to take my ferret in
while I'm stuck in the school-sponsored housing.  A place where I could
visit her frequently.  I'm extremely opposed to the idea of no longer being
Kaz's primary caretaker - her "mommy" - but it would be better than leaving
Kaz in southern Oregon while I'm in Seattle, or having to give her away
permanently.

J. Leigh

The Quote(s):
v^v^v^v^v^v^v
It's hard to be religious when certain people
are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.
~"Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson
~^=-~^=-~^=-~^=-~^=-~^=-~^=-~^=-~^=-~^=-
The Gargoyle Code:
Spg/f:m FG Oav/na@us WTw Sxf CA38 Sz-
Co9f79ee HCff4500 CS-01/-03 PT-02/-04
M+++ Tc+ R- | A++ W+ EF*++ S*++ Cm++ G-
CR | RLA*/LW* a- c++n e+ h+ i+++ j o+++
(www.spottycat.com/marlos/gargcode.html)
 The Webpage:
 ->,the Unoffical Christine Cavanaugh Page!
 http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1932