From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 20:29:00 -0400
Thank you Howard for the work you are doing with regard to Calif.
Legalization, CBS and HSUS letter.

As usual, am putting in my two cents a few days behind everyone.  Mr.  Irwin
states in his letter >.takes a special person to meet their (ferrets) needs<
>promotion .....  exploits the animal< etc & etc.

What is wrong with this picture?  The problem with HSUS stated policy, as I
see it, is that is is based on the hypothetical.  Their "what would happen
if... ." has in fact, no basis in fact.  It does not take too much brain
power to know Mr. Paul G. Irwin probably does not own a ferret.

Well, come and get me HSUS, because I had no idea I was exploiting these
animals.  My house and my cup runneth over.  My ferrets are my friends and
pets.  They are not caged and are integrated in with the family and other
pets.  I promote them as pets to others all of the time, taking time to have
"Ferret days" at my place of business at which people can have "hands on"
 with my little friends and learn about up-keep and care.  I am always amazed
at how quickly people emotionally attach to my babies -- well, they just are
so special they affect you like that.

I read the letter to my ferret family and they were alarmed.  They feel that
a Paul G.  Irwin should probably not be allowed in homes.  It perhaps might
take a special person to meet his needs.  They can not at this time
recommend that he even be permitted in homes.  Very little is known about
him.  They fear he might be exploited by people not geared to care for him.
They fear coming in contact with him - he might bite.

While there are ample ferret shelters across the country to take in unwanted
ferrets, we know of no such place that would take in HSUS ferret policy
makers.  We also suspect there are not as many private shelters to take in
stray dogs and cats, as we have formed for our love of ferrets.

Perhaps CBS would be willing to do a program on the possible dangers of a
Paul G. Irwin?  He has bitten very deeply into many of us and our ferrets.

Sincerely, Meg Carpenter, Shadow, Dusk, Dawn, Sgt. Pepper, Nelly, Honey Bun,
Sparky, The Princess Tiger Lilly, Just One More "Jussy", Von Schokolade,
Black Hawk, Zoe, Sugar Baby "Grumpy", My Black Sin, and Sweet Hart.