From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:16:52 -0400
> :-( I've been thinking about trying melatonin on my two adrenal Babie's
>but I'm not sure of the dosage that would be safe for them.  Also, would
>liquid melatonin be ok to use?

We've had excellent results with liquid Melatonin at a dose of 1 mg/kg of
ferret weight (that's 1 mg/2.2 pounds).  Make sure that you know the
concentration of the Melatonin in the liquid.  For example, a liquid
Melatonin containing 2.5 mg/ml would require 0.4 ml to make 1 mg, while
one containing 0.25 mg/ml would require 4 ml.'

Although I've read that the ideal time to give it (I believe) is 8 hours
after sunrise, we've been giving it in the evening but it seems to work
just fine.

Our Tanner was operated on going on 3 years ago for a double adrenal
where only one could be removed.  The other was too large and evasive,
and likely cancerous.  He's been on it since then and is doing fine,
with hair regrowth and no urination problems.

Dick B.