From:
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 08:52:54 -0800
>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Dogs and Ferrets
>I have been talking to a lot of dog rescue people lately and for the most
>part they all seem to think their breed (and pretty much most breeds) would
>have a problem with ferrets, though a few just aren't sure or don't know.
>There's a lot of talk about low-prey drive and high-prey drive.

Just like us folks who run ferret rescues think our ferrets are better and
more important than other animals (well not really but sort of) these dog
people are for the most part probably as confused as why you would want both
a dog and a ferret.  We have never experienced a real problem with dogs and
ferrets.  Now we don't have nor ever intend to have an ill mannered dog and
we don't train our dogs to be mean.  A well trained dog of nearly any breed
should do fine with ferrets.  German shepherds, mutts, shelties, and
Pomeranians have done fine with our ferrets.

>From:    Kim Hastings <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Khaz checks in, wants to know about Hagen
>Who is this Hagen anyway?

A Canadian outfit that has a few ranches producing ferrets.  Smaller than
Marshall.  We've heard really unbelieveable stories about them as well but
we suspect they are about the same as most ranch ferrets.

>Is that a good plan, or should I wait til February?

You might have some hormone incidents before February.  If estrus comes
early you have problems.  If it comes normally you'll be fine.  Tough call.
Four months is early but definitely not as early as the 5 or 6 weeks.  Early
would be the most cautious we guess.  Though we normally recommend 8 or 9
months.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/