From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:37:14 -0500
>From: "Shannon Kennedy" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I see you got a vet to answer this one.  But I noticed he left out a very
>common cause of prolapsed rectums especially this time of year is shedding
>and hairballs. I am speaking from experience my late ferret used to get
>a prolapsed rectum and that is what the vet told me was one of the most
>common causes, and to give a regular dose of hairball remedy.
>
>I hope this helps some.
>
>Shannon

Dear Shannon -

Thank you for your insight on this condition.  Although hairballs more
commonly act as gastric foreign bodies and occasionally can result in
obstruction at the point where the stomach meets the intestine,
occasionally you will see a ferret with tremendous amounts of hair in the
feces, which renders it difficult to pass.  In thses cases, you may see
excessive straining, and as a result, rectal prolapse.  Thanking you for
jogging my memory on this one.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP