Date:
Sat, 16 May 2009 14:50:25 -0500
This subject has broadened from it's original content I think.

Legalities, humanity, and conscience.

Taking a sickly or dying ferret to a vet to legally have it euthanized
may be costly but it is humane if the vet knows what he/she is doing,
and the ferret will not be frightened or feel any pain.If the cost
prohibits someone, talk to the vet, perhaps they will give you a
reasonable discount.

When it is time for a little one to leave, I want them to feel loved
and secure without fear or pain. Our vet is an hour away and there have
been a few times I've made that trip in 30 agonizing minutes because
the little one was in pain. Our vet helps them to gently leave our
realm. I've had to make this decision many times through the years and
it never gets easier or less costly. I'm comfortable with my decision.

Before an emergency happens, try to make temporary plans and
arrangements just in case. Maybe purchase a ferret playpen, lightweight
and easily transported - so the ferrets can get out of the cage to
stretch, maybe buy a tent in case you have to camp out with your
ferrets or live out of your vehicle for a few days till you can figure
something else out or offers of help arrive.

If you live in an area that has a natural disaster occuring such as
flood or fire, pack up and get out if you can, before the only way out
is by rescuers that may not take your animals with you. Listen to the
warnings and heed them if possible.

In an emergency, pack up the fuzzies and their belongings (food and
medications especially) in their cages and roll them out the door with
you. Ask friends, neighbors, family for help if you need to. Ask the
ferret community for help. Ask a church, animal shelter, crisis center,
social services, vets, people and animal agencies, police and fire dept
for help. Post on mailing lists, freecycle lists, craigslist that you
need help. Post on bulletin boards and telephone poles if you need to.
Give someone the opportunity to help if they can.

There are sources of help but we might have to do a little searching
and pleading.

Kansas has deadly tornadoes. Years ago a friends husband knew I
wouldn't leave the ferrets and showed up on my porch as a tornado was
headed our way. He came to help me load up the ferrets and dogs and
take us to the storm shelter for safety. In 15 minutes we kenneled all
34 ferrets and had them and the dogs loaded in the back of the truck
to take them to safety.

Another time the gas company had a broken line and made everyone leave
their homes in the area - I refused to leave the ferrets. I couldn't
pack them all up and move them out in my small vehicle so I stayed
with them. Fortunately we all lived to tell about it. The gas company
workers were not pleased with my attitude but right or wrong, I was
comfortable with my decision I had to live with.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org
Kansas