From:
"Michelle P." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 1994 00:51:09 -0500
Hi all,
   I guess I am type happy tonight, as this is my fourth letter to FML, but
after reading issue 723, I really felt like I should add this to the "Vet vs.
Owner/Shots"  controversy that is brewing.
First I am not on either side, Dr. Williams has made a few good points and so
has Leonard Jaffe, I agree that vaccination by a vet has lower risk of side
effects, and that has been stated earlier in Ann Davis's report on Distemper
survey's. But I agree with Dr. Williams when he said: (not exact words) If
the owner can't afford to take care of the animals then they shouldn't have
them.
But as we all know, human health care as well as health care prices for
Animals are outragious!  If the Vet's really care about the
animals,....assuming that is why they are in the proffession in the first
place, then why is this so?  Why is there such a great mark up? One quick
scan through my Jeffer's catalog just about made my eyes bug out. I go
through it and go "I paid four times as much for that!"

I agree with Leonard when he said that the lay person learns how to give
shots to ourselves or loved ones, its happened for years, and this is on
humans. not that animals are any less important, but humans tend to think
that they are above animals.

Most people who vaccinate their own pets are very health conscientious with
their animals. They aren't backyard vets, or some red kneck using rusty or
dirty needles. And they aren't people who are just trying to save a buck or
keep a profit, they are just people trying to beat this badly operated price
system.
And after all even the vets start off uneducated.
Well off my soap box......any way if any one is interested I have found a
negotiable sollution to this problem, a 3rd option, and it has worked well
for me, providing YOUR vet will go along with it, luckily mine has....(She
truly does care about animals and not the money.)

I buy the Vaccinations directly from the company at cost, and I take it in to
my vet and she vaccinates them, I pay for the Needles, and her time, It comes
out considerably cheaper, and all are happy. And
The vet IS the one who is doing the Vaccination, so I could get the
certificates if needed, and best of all.... I have beat this crummy system!!!
well that is all I have to say! Good night!

Michelle and The MASKeteer's:-)