From:
"J. Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 15:54:21 EST
RE: LOKI
I read about Dylan's Loki and couldn't help making a reply to him.  It is
obvious Dylan, that you love your Loki & think you ae giving him a good life
with all his outside freedom.  But please re-consider this.  Eating foam
and subjecting your precious one to the dangers of outdoors unsupervised
is not helping with his health problems.  Being 13 yrs old is a great time
to learn and how to care for animals and helpless humans.Please take this
as a learning experience and that I, being a ferret/animal lover,
mother/grdmother and registered nurse tell you this in the spirt of
learning to care for living things in "their best interest".Your parents do
not let you roam around all hours of the night, let you eat only candy all
day, hang out with bad people in dangerous situations & doing things that
are life threatening.Love is protecting those who need it, setting limits &
rules are part of "parenting" your pet.  Consider that someday you will be
responsible for your own child, a car, house or elderly grandpa.  Now is
the time you are learning how important you are to others in your care.
Every time I have to give a baby or child a shot,hold them down to clean a
wound,or hold them while die, it breaks my heart.But I know I am there to
help them get well or to comfort them, when it is over.Taking this great
responsibility to care for your pet properly will give you great pride that
you did the best for Loki and gave him the best "quality" of life that you
could provide.That's what makes us humans the caretakers, we are willing to
learn from mistakes of others.  I lost 2 fuzzies because of not knowing
enough about them.  I think they should not be sold unless people are given
detailed info, like available in FML.  You are lucky to have FML to learn
from and that you are computer wise.  I didn't know all of this either,
with my first ferrets.  But now that I have 2 more, I made sure I found
more information,and I am still learning.  Being smart is not IQ, but
knowing where to look when you need to find answers.  I like to think that
you will grow up being a very wise,informed,and experienced caretaker of
ferrets, the next generation!  We are counting on you.  Give Loki a hug,
sounds like he is really a tough little guy.  Luck to you, too FerretNurse