Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 08:17:51 -0800
Snorkle, my 6 month old, is a quick learner.  He has a number of behavioral
modification under his proverbial belt.

Of course, there is, THE KISS, always on the nose.  Then, there is the BIG
KISS, also on the nose, but, as one reader wrote, he stretches out his neck,
yawns, and then gentle takes the whole end of my nose in his jaw and
squeezes!  (Not hard..very easily and gently!) All very slowly and very
deliberately on the 'suggestion' of a BIG KISS.

He is also very good a yawning on command as well.

I have been reading with great interest, the different ways to stop biters.
Some I wholeheartedly agree with and other methods I totally reject as being
barbaric.  The one thing we must all keep in mind is that what works for me,
may not work with you.  Everyone has a different 'level' of rapport with a
fuzzy.  This can be caused by a number of different reasons..body odor, tone
of voice, manner of holding, etc.  (I know some people that can never catch
a fish, even when everyone else is reeling them in as fast as the line is
presented!...All because of body odor/chemicals...)

What has always worked for me with biters, be it a kit or an older adult
with a penchant for the webbing in my hands, is: corrrection and reward.
The correction is to simply hold the fert in front of my face and blow with
enough force to cause the fert to lick.  When fert starts this reaction, I
tell the fert 'kisses, kisses, kisses' and kiss its nose.  No, I have never
been bitten ('Bitten' sure doesn't look right...spelling???) on the nose
during this training, but one DOES have to pay attention!  The reward
consists of lots of kisses, vigorous petting, and a treat.  As training
progresses, I start adding real incentives to getting a kiss.."Give me a
kiss and I will put you down." Most of the time, after learning that a kiss
WILL get them free, they can't kiss you fast enough!  Oh yes...using their
name, if they are old enough to have one, is good too.

For me it works.  For you, who knows.  Patience is a virtue...if you have a
serious biter, don't expect a miracle overnight...it just doesn't happen.  I
have a good friend who has a little albino girl who is a nasty nipper!
(Many of you have heard me talk [With great affection!] about Crystal!) It
took over a year, but the last two times she has stayed with me, she has not
even attempted to bite.  She is not real keen on kissing on command, but..a
lack of a nip from her is as good as a kiss!

One last observation while I am on the subject of getting a kiss from our
ferts.  I just love it when all the cajoling in the world, does not result
in a kiss.  Instead, from Garret, I get a deep intake of breath, a very loud
sigh, the look of, 'Well, if I gotta......" and a quick swipe of his tongue
or a bump on the lips.  Then the look: 'OK, you got your kiss, now PUT ME
DOWN ALREADY!!'

Ah ferrets......such wonderful and amazing little creatures!

MC  (Joe..the rude one!)
Garret:  Uh oh...he talking about us again...............
Snorkle:  At least he isn't talking about trying to get me to chase a
raisin in that pan of water today!