From:
"Caitlyn M. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 13:00:23 +0000
Hi, Angela, and everyone else.

>Even when they had the run of the house, they never were all that great at
>the litter box, so they need to be retrained with it.  Since, I know that
>I will end up doing most of this I need some ideas in how to reinforce
>that they make use the litter boxes.  I already have three litter boxes
>for them.  Now, I just need to know how do I encourage them to use them?

I'm sure everyone has their own way of doing litter training, but here is
what worked for us:

Supervise play time.  Watch the weasels as closely as you can.  If you see
one backup up, tail high, and you know they are going to miss, run, pick
them up and quickly put them in the litter pan.  Say the words "In here",
so they learn them.  Then give them a treat if they actually go where they
are supposed to and just don't bounce out again.  If they go on their
own, give them lots of praise and a special treat or two they love (like
Ferretone for ours).  When they do miss (and they will), tell them they
were "bad" in a stern tone of voice.

Some ferrets will get it in a day or two.  Adric took us six months.  Lady
Ayeka still doesn't quite have it down, though at least when she misses
it's on the plastic runner we keep under the litter pans right next to the
pan.  We've had Ayeka for over three years.  Nyssa sometimes starts to go
next to the litter pan, and if I say "IN" sternly she corrects herself and
goes where she is supposed to.  Every fert is different, and only four of
our exight are truly 100%.  (Three more: Avon, Adric, and Nyssa are well
over 90%, though.)

I guess I really also need to say that patience is a virtue when it comes
to litter training.  Be consistent and persistent and they will get it
eventually.

All the best,
Caity and the exuberant eight
(Tenchi, Adric, Kerr Avon, Ryo-0hki, Nyssa, Lady Ayeka, Romana, and
Pertwee)