From:
"Shortley, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:28:48 -0500
Hi everyone!
Today I post with a great big smile and wonderful news.  I had posted a
couple weeks ago about my little Nala being so sick.  She had been
hospitalized for 2 days to have IV fluid and injected antibiotics 24 hours
a day.  She had to be force fed soft food the entire time and wouldn't eat
her kibble at all.

She was so boney and weak.  My vet told me that if this hospitalization
didn't help, she was in kidney failure.  I thought I was going to lose my
first ferret.

Well, she responded very well to the hospitalization.  VERY WELL!  She was
great for a couple days - it was amazing.  Then she became lethargic again
for a couple days.  We went back to the vet Friday night for follow-up
bloodwork and on Saturday, she was back to climbing the cage, rushing to
the door in her room when we'd leave, etc...

She's gained 10 grams in a week and seems to be eating and drinking very
well.  I AM THRILLED and VERY RELIEVED!

Her treatment this past 6 weeks has been so expensive, over $600.  I am
glad that I was able to get together the money though because it seems
that all she needed was a lot of extra TLC.  Also, she was diagnosed with
cardiomyopathy last year.  My new and wonderful vet seemed to think that
her dosaged was too high and this was contributing to her getting
dehydrated.  We decreased her lasix to 1/4 pill once a day instead of
twice.  She hates the liquid and pees on me whenever I try to get her to
take it.  I have even tried putting a drop in babyfood, ferrotone,
etc...she knows it - I'm telling you!  The vet called yesterday and all her
levels and enzymes are in a normal range finally.  So....so far, so good.
Thank goodness - she is only 3 and I know she doesn't want to give up just
yet!  Thanks for listening!  Lisa and Nala