From:
Valkyrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 1998 01:45:05 +8000
>To be perfectly honest, I don't KNOW the effect that Distilled H2O will
>have on ferrets (or any other animal that consumes it).  I do know that
>for aquatic animals (snails, mussels, fish, etc.) it will kill them.

I didn't see the original post so I have no idea who I should direct
this to.

It is my understanding that there is no living thing that can live on
distilled water.  The necessary minerals and such are absent in distilled
water and therefore is deemed useless in that area.  A friend of mine
watered her plants with distilled water and couldn't understand why they
died....no nutrients.  Personally I would not give my ferret distilled
water.  Try natural spring water or filtered water if you're concerned
about regular tap water.  As far as algae I solved that problem with my
rabbits water bottle by taking the insulator off of one of those AM/PM type
water bottles and taped it around the rabbits bottle, keeps the water cool
and the algae growth is darn near eliminated.  I now live at a place with
well water.  It has a heavy sulphur smell to it and has loads of iron.  I'm
afraid to give that to Caesar so I'm giving him bottled natural spring
water.  Seems to be okay.

Nancy