Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2013 15:55:52 -0400
Hopefully not one that ferrets also can get, but since they share a
range of illnesses I figured that a heads up was in order:

http://www.promedmail.org/direct.php?id=20130907.1928773

Ohio and possibly California, rapidly fatal for some, possibly a novel
circovirus with other possibilities also being considered

Quoted short segments:

Clinical signs include bloody diarrhea and vomiting, extreme lethargy,
neurological problems, a lack of appetite and other maladies."

"What made these cases unique is what the pathologist terms 'acute
necrotizing vasculitis.' This is when the blood vessels become suddenly
damaged and fluid begins leaking out of the vessels," Butera said.
"Because of this, the cases I know of did not just have vomiting and
bloody diarrhea, they also developed fluid around their lungs and in
the abdomen."

As the damage to the vessels continued, she saw hemorrhages,
physiological shock and blood clots being thrown into tissues, once
with fatal results, she said.

Butera's patients shared some or all of the signs as the Cincinnati
dogs; 3 of her canine patients survived after treatment, and one died,
she said.

It will be several weeks before scientists can determine if the Canal
Fulton, Cincinnati and California dogs all died from the same illness,
Hawkins said.

"Until the investigation by the pathologists is complete, we will not
know whether or not what we saw is from a virus, bacteria, or toxin,
etc., or even if these cases are related to each other," she said.
"The only advice I can give people right now is just common sense:
If your dog is showing signs of illness, no matter what the cause,
do not hesitate to seek veterinary care."

Ditto ferrets, of course. There is NEVER an alternative to care from a
veterinarian who knows ferrets or at least actively is trying to learn
about them. Meanwhile, if a ferret in those areas breaks with similar
symptoms do make your vet aware of the dog problem just in case.

Sukie (not a vet)  Ferrets make the world a game.

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.miamiferret.org/
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/