From:
Marc Lavergne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 19:59:42 -0500
Lisette Lu wrote in  "Shocking"

>So far not a single person out there has written of knowing a vet who
>scrubs his or her hands before examining the patients.

I am not surprised that we do not witness this.  Have you ever seen your
family doctor scrub his hands in front of your?  Probably not.  They do
that between patients.  I assume my vet does the same and am very confident
she scrubs her hands.  There is a sink in every examination room of that
clinic with soap, paper towels & disinfectant.

>So far not a single person knows of a vet whose examination table is wiped
>off, then sprayed down and left to dry for 10 minutes on a consistent
>basis-or at all

I have witnessed my vet use a disinfectant to clean an area soiled by one
of our ferret that had his temperature taken in his rectum.  She sprayed
and wiped it before examining another of our ferrets.  I do not know if
they spray and let dry for 10 minutes between pets from different household
but I am confident that they do their best to prevent the spread of
diseases.  Our vet is very dedicated, competent and cares about animals.

>Instead-I am actually hearing from people about vet offices that actually
>have vets telling the assistants NOT to clean, so that disease can spread,
>and the office can have more business.

It is commendable that you raise awareness of preventative measures to keep
our ferrets as healthy as can be.

However, not knowing your sources or yourself, I feel that these
allegations could be false.  If you have hard facts supporting these
parctices, please let us know.  For example, did a vet loose his license
or was suspended for unsanitary measures?

Lorraine Tremblay
Webmistress of Mustela Canada | Webmestre de Mustela Francia
http://www.storm.ca/~ferret
Pour joindre la Liste furets contactez : [log in to unmask]