From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 1995 09:38:37 -0400
I met my first ferret in 1977 at Carswell AFB, TX.  She was running on the
table tops in the 7th FMS Commanders Briefing Room.  The Commander (a
Colonel) and 5 Officers and 14 Enlisted personal were all present (I was
briefing AGE status when this event happened).  The room went crazy -
everyone was laughing and generally having a good time - except for me I was
trying to give a briefing.  The ferret belonged to the Wing Commander (who
was there to hear my briefing)!  After the briefing and things were breaking
up all Officers and Enlisted were cooing and peting the ferret.

For those that don't know the 7th FMS was part of what use to be SAC
Headquarters for the 7th Bomb Wing (B-52 Bombers)

I was stationed in the Aerospace Ground Equipment (AGE) section.
The people there were wonderful.

AGEDOG's Story

One morning I had to go the the Hospital on base for my yearly physical .
Outside the Hospital was a USAF Law Enforcement car - inside that car was
the most bedraggled flea ridden dog I had ever seen.  I ask the LE's what the
problem was - they said they had found him on base and with no owner they
were taking him to be destroyed.   When the LE's walked away I literally
STOLE the dog from the car!  I took him to my Squadron where my boss and I
hid him till off duty hours.  I took him to the vet had him cleaned up, got
him his shots and returned to the AGE Squadron.  Since I lived in the
barricks at that time we hid the AGEDOG in our commander's office till I
could get off base housing.  AGEDOG became the mascot for the 7th FMS AGE
section.  He did public relation tours and wore his special AGE outfit
complete with Scarf and Cap everywhere we went.  On the morning of the Ferret
incident AGEDOG was in the briefing room with me.  He was in full uniform and
sitting on the floor when the Ferret Incident (as it became known) happened.
AGEDOG saw the world - he had tours At Carswell, Incirlik, Turkey, McGuire
AFB, NJ, and several other TDY assignments (Temporary Duty Yonder).  AGEDOG
retired from the Military in 1982.  On August 17th 1993 AGEDOG crossed the
Rainbow Bridge - but not until he had helped me set up a Ferret Shelter,
assisted in the Air Lifts of Ferrets and Supplies in and out of  Miami (after
Hurricane Andrew).

So now you all know why my AOL name is AGEDOG

AGEDOG USAF Retired, Lover of Ferrets, Companion, Friend and my beloved son.

Chere McCoy
Ferret Friends of Indian River County International

P.S.  Ownership of Ferret on Military Base's is strictly up to the Base
Commander