From:
Tanya Grave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:44:03 -0800
Ok, I just had to say something on the treat debate.  I know I am going to
be torched for giving my kids dried fruit, but I have to say if the treat
makes my kids do a dance of glee, well than unless it's really, really bad
for them - I don't see why I can't give it in moderation.

 -------------------------
Raisins - I don't think my kids consider raisins a treat.  Mostly they
think it's a poor substitute.

Craisins - Better than raisins but still second choice.

Cereal - Any kind is just ok.  They don't get very excited for it.

Pounce (dried/soft) - So-so, mostly not interested.

8-1 Bits (affectionately known as *stinky treats*) - They like them better
than raisins.

Cheap kitty foods - Nah - forget it - they're too spoiled with good kibble.

Dried papaya - WINNER!  OMG - my kids will kill for a piece of dried
papaya.  They will actually try and snatch it out of each others mouths!
This is one treat they will not share amongst one another.  I have seen
one kid chase the other kid while hissing, grunting, and pushing goes on.
It's amazing how much dried papaya is coveted.  No other treat has ever
come close to the enthusiasm that papaya generates.

But I also want to clarify that the ONLY dried papaya (and any other dried
fruit) that is given to my kids is preservative free with no added sugars
or additives.  I get my supply from the health food store.  I do not give
any dried fruit that comes from a mixture (like w/ dried coconut and
ginger) or that is "hard" dried.  It is strictly health food quality and
very, very soft and pliant.  I've never had a blockage or had anyone choke
on a piece (unless you consider them trying to swallow it whole because
they're so greedy!).  This doesn't mean that it may not ever happen - and
if it ever does at that time I will reevaluate my decision to give it to
them.  But until than, they get so much pleasure from this favorite treat
I won't (don't want to) stop giving it to them.

Happy dooks, Tanya