From:
Judy Cooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 19:24:06 -0700
I was one of the IFC members to tour the Petsmart in the St Louis area.
Although I am not happy to see another pet store chain selling ferrets,
I was pleased to see for myself that Petsmart is making the effort to do
it right.  I thought the kits were good-sized, very active and healthy
looking.  Their housing was much, much better than any I have seen in
other pet store.  If there was anything at all that I was concerned
about - it was about some of the products stocked on the shelf - which
as most of you know, an effort is underway to get those removed - not
just from Petsmarts shelves, but Petco, The Ferret Store, the Ferret
Depot and even a few small shelter webstores have joined in.

Like I said, I don't like to see ferrets sold in pet stores, but I do not
believe there is anything we will ever be able to do to stop this.  I
don't think jumping up and down and yelling and screaming will accomplish
anything, and if I am going to exert that kind of effort, then I am going
to take advantage of the fact that we have someone in a position of power
in one of the major pet stores who is willing to listen to us!  If
ferrets have to be sold in pet stores, I would like to see them like the
ones I saw in this Petsmart.  They were the best I have ever seen in a
pet store anywhere.

I know this was just one store - but I am hoping to be able to check out
another location or two in the near future.  I will go in as a customer
asking questions and I will report my finding both here and to Dr. Mike.

Judy Cooke
Co-Director IFC
Support Our Shelters