Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 07:10:50 -0400
I experienced my first "heart attack" of the day early this morning (with
three human kids and three fuzzbutts, I have several "heart attacks" in the
course of one day).  Anyway, I thought this would serve as a gentle
reminder--

Our front door is on spring-loaded hinges because it also serves as a
firedoor.  In the ungodly event that our apartment catches fire, the door
[and spring hinges] would slam shut upon our rushed escape and supposedly
prevent the fire from blocking the stairs leading to the apartments
upstairs.  This door slams *hard* and it drives me crazy (I hate a slamming
door) so out of habit I always put my foot behind me to catch the door and
then without the momentum behind it, I let it close gently the last couple
of inches.  This morning I was stepping outside to enjoy a cup of coffee
while the sun rose.  I had put Gracie in another room and was just walking
out the door.  True to my habit, as the door started to slam behind me, I
put my foot back to catch the door.  Gracie had materialized right on my
heels (that molecular- restructuring- and- teleporting -thing that ferrets
do so well) and her neck got caught between the door and the door frame!!
The ONLY thing that saved her little neck from being crushed was my foot!
By catching the door with my foot, I kept the door open just enough to
prevent it from slamming shut and snapping her neck!

A quick examination proved that she was unharmed (thankfully!!!) but it
took quite awhile for my heart rate to restore itself to normal
palpatations.

Watch those doors and especially ones that slam!

Renee
Gracie ("Wow!  That was close, Mom!")
Milo ("What's all the fuss?")
Casper ("Oh, sis, I am glad you weren't hurt!")