From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 09:50:02 -0500
Anonymous wrote:
>I am not a ferret shelter beacuse I respect teh state laws.  In Illionis
>the law requires that shelters:

>1. A separate area for personal animals
>2. A separate area for infirmary
>3. A separate area for shelter animals
>4. Registered with the state and subject to random inspections.
>5. Ferret owners, ferret breeders and shelters owners need to file a permit
>form with the state of IL Dept of Agriculture.  There is no cost for those
>having ferret the permit form with the state.  There is a cost for those
>breeding ferrets.

Here in NH the laws is the same!!!!  Although it does not sttae small
shelterers cannot have their owns ferrets in close proximity to shelter
ferrets-- another cage is acceptable!

Ferret Wise is a NH ferret shelter-- it is still a stand alone facility--
meaning no one's pets are here-- either volunteers or boarders.  This is a
crucial issue when any emergency could bring viral contaminants or
infections indoors!

Spot inspections are a good thing-- it helps insure the general well being
of all animals cared for!

Breeding in NH is not a shelter issue-- I know of no shelters who breed
animals-- that is what breed rescues do--

Nor is licensing required here-- although those who breed for resale to pet
stores etc MUST go through federal registry and inspection programs.

my 2 cents worth

alicia

stop by and visit--
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html