From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 00:26:51 -0700
>From:    Beth Stoker <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Update at home & Color question
>There were a few that looked to be about 8 weeks in size, and by the
>feel of their teeth as they tried to rip my flesh from my hand.  They had
>a flatter face, not as long and tapered of a nose.  They were white with
>grayish markings (kinda like a sable ferret with calico cat spots) they had
>black eyes.  Well the sales girl said they were arctic ferrets and that
>they are $200 vs. $139 because dark eyed whites were only about 1 in ten
>thousand.  Is it just me or is this girl doing some serious false
>advertising?

Serious false advertising.

Describe the markings.  As completely as possible.  Were they even ferrets
is a concern.  There is no such thing as an "arctic ferret".  Can't
picture your description.

About the 1 in 10,000...  We'd have to have had over 100,000 ferrets here
with us. We don't have THAT many here.  A dark eyed white pattern isn't as
rare as a "real" dark eyed white but this is ridiculous.  Okay in Europe
there aren't many dark eyed whites.  One of ours made it to Scandinavia
though.

>From:    Beth Stoker <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vaccinations
>I've been sitting on this question for a while.  While I was camping over
>the fourth my vet tech friend was telling some of the people with us that
>they shouldn't vaccinate their dogs any more.  They had older dogs.

Man oh man...

Older animals might or might not need more vaccinations.  You wouldn't know
with out testing the blood - which is more expensive than its worth.  If
the vets were "trying to make money".  That is what they would encourage.
But vaccine recommendations aren't made by individual vets.  But rather
rabies recommendations are from the government.  Many folks don't continue
to vaccinate older ferrets but accusing vets of lying for the money is way
too harsh.

Just don't understand some people.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets