From:
Brian and Lisa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:15:55 -0400
Hi All,
This post comes to you from a very happy fuzzy Mom.  I posted last week
about my Chamois having pnuemonia that turned into a more serious disease
called Pyothorax.  My Vet never knew of a ferret having this disease.  He
put info out through internet and received a little info back.  He treated
the disease as he would a cat.  My Chamois took antirobe drops and baytri
and had his chest tapped to remove fluid and had to stay at Vet's for three
days.  I went to visit him this past Monday and he looked so pitiful.  If
he didn't get better by next day the Vet was going to have to put a drain
tube into his chest.Putting him under anestesia had him concerned for he
was so weak and sick.  He had never done this procedure on a ferret before
but I was confident in his knowledge of ferrets.  Tuesday morning the Vet
called and told me I could come get my boy but had to continue meds by
mouth and had to bring him back today so he could tap his chest to check
for fluid.I joked with my Vet that Chamois got better because my husband
and I visited him on Monday.  He said visiting is very important.  He was
even surprised NO FLUID AT ALL today when he tapped his chest.  He checked
him over and for the exception of being a little thin, he is doing soooo
well.  I guess he is one that will be talked about at my Vet's office for
quite some time.  I feel very fortunate to have a knowledeable Vet only
an hour and half away.  Thank you to those who sent well wishes and info.

Thanks Susan and Sunshine and Renee for your e-mails.  I have forgotten
the pain that having a sick family member, which these little guys are my
family, can bring.  It was nice not going it alone.  I hope all the sick
fuzzies out there are feeling better.

Lisa and her boys--Sneak and Chamois "I'm feeling soooo much better"