From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:23:51 -0400
One aspect of breeding for appearance alone has been totally missed in
this discussion and that is the forgotten ferrets.

I can't forget these ferrets because when Steve and I could afford to do
so we took in some of the "rejects", the ferrets who wound up with the
worst symptoms of their appearance related mutations.  I am glad that
some breeders and farms do find homes for these ferrets because there are
those who just put them down, which is why on some sites when genetics
are discussed people have gotten in the habit of saying "culling by
sterilization" instead of just "culling".

Yes, there are ferrets in genetic groups such as those with neural crest
genetic medical disorders, angora genetics, and others who wind up being
"freebies" to purchase.  (Recall, though, that their medical care can
reach into the 5 figures.) It takes a lot of work to help them and keep
them comfortable.  They can wind up with quite a range of malformations,
many painful, such as skull changes, fur growing in nostrils which cuts
off both breathing and drainage and can lead to chronic infection, jaws
which can't open fully, connective tissue problems, and a great deal
more.  So, if you like a certain look remember to also think about the
individuals who aren't being sold and may even have been destroyed
because they got the worst of the symptoms.  Start a new trend.  Remember
the forgotten ones for a change and use that as a guide to decide whose
breeding practices you will encourage in words or from wallet.