From:
Heather Wojtowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:39:10 -0500
Hi all-

A zoo ought to be feeding their animals appropriately and be knowledgeable
about their animals' nutritional needs.  I have never been to that zoo,
but if the ferrets do indeed have this assortment of fruits and cat food
in their bowl, the zoo needs some education on ferret nutrition (which
frankly they should have done before they added ferrets as an exhibit).
Ferrets like fruits, but they should be rare treats, not dietary staples.
Many ferret owners, shelter operators, and vets believe that extensive
sugar in a ferret's diet (including fruits which contain fructose sugars)
lead to a greater chance the ferret will develop insulinoma.  At any rate,
it's not the nutrition they need and is providing nothing but a sugar fix
(think of it as offering a toddler a big bowl of donuts).

I hate to sound all ".007" about this, but if you could get a photograph
of the food bowl and what it contains, it would help because other ferret
owners (such as myself) could call and write the zoo and reference what
we have SEEN in the picture.  You could also contact MaFF (Massachusetts
Ferret Friends), which is prominently organized in the Eastern end of the
state and may take an interest in contacting the zoo because they are not
far from Boston.  MaFF's website is www.maferrets.org.  Please keep me up
to date on this and if at all possible, get a picture?  I'd be happy to
write or call the zoo.

On the pet store babies in the filthy 5-gallon tank:

I know the urge to "steal" them.  Have had it myself on more than one
occasion!  But the trouble you could get into will not help the ferrets.
Others have pointed out in previous posts that ferret owners have to be
careful about what we do and say...or we are thought to be "those crazy
ferret people".

Call your local SPCA or whatever local organization watches out for the
welfare of animals.  Pet stores have to answer to authorities for the
conditions of their animals just like a private pet owner.  If you're
unsure who would have this authority in your area, call or stop by the
police department.  They should be able to tell you who you should report
cases of animal cruelty and neglect to.  When you speak to the proper
authority, make sure they are knowledgeable about how ferrets are SUPPOSED
to be kept so that they will understand that these conditions are
substandard and neglectful.

If you can find out what breeder the ferrets come from (Marshall Farms is
likely but could be another breeder), contact the breeder and let them
know what conditions their ferrets are being kept in.  The breeder may
refuse to send the pet store more ferrets if you document the conditions
and make them aware of them.  Again, in true .007 fashion, it would be
best to get a few snapshots of the cage and the conditions so that it is
documented, and you can send the pictures to the breeder to show them
what the conditions and the size of the cage are like.

Pet stores are regulated by the state and city they are in.  They have to
obtain licenses to keep and sell live animals.  Do a little research (call
the Town Hall) and find out what department licenses pet stores.  Report
the pet store to this authority as well, and send them pictures of the
cage and the conditions of the ferrets.

I know our first instinct is always to buy the ferrets and get them out
of there.  I've done it myself.  But what we HAVE to remember is that by
buying these ferrets, all that is going to happen is that more ferrets
will move in to the same deplorable conditions.  Too many people buy a
ferret or two to rescue it, then feel like they've done a great thing.
They have, and they haven't.  They HAVE rescued two or three from bad
conditions.  What they HAVEN'T done is sent the right message.  The
message the pet store gets is, "People will buy ferrets even if we keep
them in these conditions - in fact, they'll buy them faster just to get
them out of here!" So they order a whole new crop of babies (probably
even a few more this time ) and pack them into the same tiny cage hoping
that more "rescuers" come along with credit cards.

I sympathize.  I know how hard it is to walk away from a cage full of
sweet babies who are wallowing in their own wastes, have no food, and
barely able to move around.  Sometimes they HAVE to be purchased to save
their lives if they are clearly, desperately ill and the pet store will
do nothing.  But in those cases, the illness must be documented and the
same authorities contacted.  In those cases a vet's support and written
statement also helps.

The best bet is to get on the phone and start contacting the authorities
that can step in and help not only those babies stuck in that cage, but
also prevent future baby ferrets from ending up in the same deplorable
conditions.  This pet store will keep on stocking baby ferrets until
efforts are made to make them clean up their act.  If they sell their
ferrets, they know they're onto something.  Some pet stores actually make
a policy of keeping the animals in semi-squalor to move them more quickly.
Sad but true.

It would be nice if pet stores were willing to listen to
ferret-knowledgeable customers.  Unfortunately that is not the case in
this situation or in many others.  We have pet stores here in Western
Massachusetts that have refused to listen to even a longtime shelter
director about the care and treatment of baby ferrets.  Too often, pet
stores think that by virtue of the fact that they sell animals, they
automatically know all that there is to know about their care and feeding
and will not listen to any "civilians" no matter how knowledgeable we
may be.

To sum up:

- Snap some pictures of the ferrets in the dirty, cramped cage for proof
  (because pet stores clean up when they know they're going to be
  inspected.  You need proof that these conditions DID exist).  The pet
  store won't be thrilled, of course, but you can snap 'em and be gone in
  about half a minute, and the 15-year-olds behind the counter aren't
  likely to do much about it!
- Call your local SPCA or other animal welfare authority.
- Contact the breeder, include pictures if possible, and let them know
  their ferrets are being kept in these conditions.
- If unsure who to call, call the police department and ask who animal
  cruelty or neglect should be reported to.
- Contact your Town Hall and see who licenses pet stores in your town or
  city.  Write up what you saw, include pictures if you can get them, and
  let them know that the store refused to listen to you.  Provide a clear
  explanation of PROPER ferret conditions.

It may take some time to effect a permanent change, and you may get a
little frustrated...but there are a number of avenues to pursue and one
will lead to this store either cleaning up its act or not carrying ferrets
anymore.  Getting one batch of babies out of there helps those kids, but
also opens up the cage to a whole new batch of babies.  Don't let that
happen if you can effect a more permanent and lasting change!

Please let me know if you need any help or support with this.

Sincerely,
Heather in Western Mass
(who is going to FROLIC this weekend!! See www.neferrets.org for info!)