From:
Kalaine Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:53:09 PST
Hello,
My name is Kalaine and I am the proud owner of two female ferrets Jezabelle
(Jezzy) and Tazarina (Taz).  They are both about 2 yrs old.  I joined the
FML after a guy at work heard me talking about my sick babies.  He said
reading others stories might help me.  He was right.  I thank him every day
for telling me about the FML.

Both of my girls got sick about 1 week before Christmas.  It started at 5
in the morning w/ Taz.  She started projectile vomiting, and I called our
vet.  We took her in, and they didn't have a clue as to what was wrong w/
her.  She didn't have a fever or an obstruction.  They called me later to
say she had green poopies.  Exactly 24 hrs later Jezzy started vomiting.
We took her into the vet too.  I got onto every website when I remembered
reading about ECE.  I called my vets and they didn't know what it was.  I
faxed them over medical info from other vets (that I got off the web), but
my doctors said ECE sounded like a general term for a type of enteritis.  I
didn't get too worried bec.  they were treating them the way the article
said to treat for ECE.  They let us take them home about 48 hrs.  after we
brought them in.  The girls seemed fine for half a day, and then they
stopped eating.  To make this letter shorter I took them to the vets again,
and they were there for a week.  I just got them home yesterday.  They are
skinny, weak, and only eat if I show them the food, and all of a sudden
they hate each other.  If Taz comes near Jezzy she screams out loud before
Taz even thinks to bite her.

Everyone I know says it is bec.  they are sick.  I don't think so.  Taz
tries to rip Jezzy's fur off.  She grabs and shakes at the same time.  I
feel bad for Jezzy bec.  she likes to be very social.  She used to follow
Taz around the apt.  Now we have to keep them in separate cages and Jezzy
walks around Taz's cage when we let her out to play alone.  She sits and
stares at her and wonders why Taz hates her.  I can't get another ferret
for Jezzy to play w/ bec.  I know they are still contaminated.  Does anyone
have any suggestions on how to reintroduce them to each other?  Also, does
anyone have any suggestions on how to make a ferret take medicine easier.
They either wiggle out of my scruff, or they refuse to open their little
mouths.  Jezzy even holds the liquid in her mouth, and then spits it out :)
Every day I am amazed at how smart these little girls are.  It seems cute
to me now, but is very fustrating when I am wearing the medicine that is
supposed to be helping them.

I just hope I can keep them eating.  If I lose them both at the same time
It would be too devastating.  I feel so guilty, bec.  I brought the virus
home to them from the pet store.  The cashiers usually let us play w/ the
baby ferrets when we come in.  They unlocked the cage in the store like
normal, and after my husband and I had been playing w/ them for a while the
girl comes over and tells me to put that one down it is sick.  As she was
walking away I heard her say that one of the baby ferrets had died the day
before.  I was extremely pissed.  How could she let us play w/ sick ferrets?

I went home and scrubbed my hands.  I put on new clothing, but I forgot to
bag my coat.  I had no idea the virus could be carried on clothing.  I saw
Taz sniffing the scent of the other ferrets, and I put the coat away, but
it was too late.  The next day her symptoms started.  I went back to the
store to tell them that they should do something about the sick ferrets,
but they looked at me like I was nuts.  How come the baby ferrets looked
fine?  There wasn't any green poops in the cage, and they were all full of
energy and playing.  I am totaly baffled.

I have learned three things from this experience: 1) Treasure each
energetic filled second w/ your little fuzzies.  2) I will never handle
ferrets in a pet store.  3) Put money away each pay day just in case.
I had about 300 saved for the girls, and that was not even a 1/4 of the
bill :(  (Thank God my vet is letting us use a payment plan)

Sorry for rambling.  I have had little sleep bec.  of their feeding and
medication schedules.

I wouldn't be able to get through this w/out reading this list every day.
Thank you FML!  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kalaine