From:
Jacquie Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 01:08:03 -0700
APOLOGIES!!  My post on gelatin yesterday was in error and I apologize.
As I said, this whole process has been and still is a learning experience
for me; nutrition has never been my forte, but I'm learning as I go.
Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction so YOU can get
the true facts:

What exactly is gelatin?  Gelatin is just a processed version of a
structural protein called collagen that is found in many animals,
including humans.  Collagen actually makes up almost a third of all
the protein in the human body.  It is a big, fibrous molecule that
makes skin, bones, and tendons both strong and somewhat elastic.

The gelatin in ferret chew toys comes from the collagen in cow or pig
bones, hooves, and connective tissues.  To make gelatin, manufacturers
grind up these various parts and pre-treat them with either a strong acid
or a strong base to break down cellular structures and release proteins
like collagen.  After pre-treatment, the resulting mixture is boiled.
During this process, the large collagen protein ends up being partially
broken down, and the resulting product is called gelatin.  The gelatin is
easily extracted because it forms a layer on the surface of the boiling
mixture.  Gelatin is a common ingredient in foods because it is so
versatile.  It can be used as a gelling agent, as a thickener, an
emulsifier, and a stabilizer.  So, YES, gelatin is actually from an
animal protein!  I apologize for previous misunderstanding.

jacquie rodgers