From:
Wayne Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:18:38 -0000
Hi

It is a shame that the treats, etc route has not worked.  I have had
cases where no amount of love and treats has been successful.

Have you tried hissing and putting them away for a few minutes every time
they bite?

Some owners on the list seem to be set against gentle scruffing but I
have found it to be very successful in cases where all else has failed.

It is the natural act of a ferret to assert dominance by grabbing the
neck of another and dragging them.  This can be reproduced while still
being gentle with the fert.

A gentle drag to the cage and five minutes (no more) locked inside and
then release them.

Lector, an adult male rescue was the worst biter I have trained and drew
blood several times a day at first but is now the softest most playful of
the lot and the one who always comes running up to say hello and ask for
some play time when he is out and I enter the room.

I stress this was done extremely gently

With lector I resorted to biting him back, very gently on the back of the
neck with my teeth and hissing at him.  The look of shock on his face the
first time I did it was quite something.  Be very careful they don't get
chance to bite you back on the face.

If anyone wants to attack me for this then feel free.  He was due to be
killed in a truly awful way for being vicious when I rescued him.  Had
he not been trained out of biting he would have been destined for a life
locked in a cage with only occasional play on his own.

W.

Wayne Gardner
Dept. of Medical Physics
Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust