From:
Dayna Frazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 1996 08:03:42 EDT
FOX..lets just frequently remind everyone its all just silly fiction like
the yellow tabloids and to enjoy the idiot creations..fun!  they will either
suffer a total loss of all credibility or get their act together..either way
its all the same for me..

I was immensely flattered and honored by Paw Paws post about me... I am
framing that page of the fml for all time..  After all I cannot think of a
greater compliment than to have Paw Paw describe one of my letters as
STRANGE..high praise from the Master himself!!  :D It all comes from
answering messages in pieces and out of context..after a review, the
evidence of this deplorable habit was clear indeed..  and strange was a
kindness... I will try to do better..its this living a hermits existence for
so many years... gums up the thinking machine from time to time..  Sorry Paw
Paw!!  And thanks for the great Moniker..MMOMM that you put together for
me...

Strangers and sharing your fuzzy without giving offense..A.  carry hand wash
towelettes, like handi wipes, inexpensive, and insist anyone handling you
fuzzy carefully clean their hands and then restrict the time of contact..who
knows what they have ben handling..I did a lab slide from a wipe of two
square inches of the push bar on a grocery cart once.. the variety of micro
organisms was phenomenal...B.  Tell them that any pets etc. will have to
short as its stressful for any critter to be handled by a lot of
strangers..C. Or if your uneasy about someone..just smile and tell them
it'll have to be another time..that the fuzzy has had his/her quota of new
people for the day...sorry..  that she gets pooped like anybody else..and
smile and walk on!  No one who is decent will be offended by any of those
approaches and any creeps will be either very controlled or eliminated
without giving offense..and if someone is offended they are no body you want
near you fur kid anyhow, so, no great loss..

Shelter bits... Have a very nice, high quality but limited line of offerings
for sale thru the shelter at a modest markup..all proceeds to go to the
shelter/rescue fund..this gets fuzzys great goodies and helps pay the
bills..very acceptable in a non-profit outfit.  Ask for donations of any new
item from any source you can think of..small or large..then do a bunch of
public announcements with posters and flyers and have a Silent Suction
afternoon of all the things you have accumulated...all proceeds to the
shelter fund..

Ask TF and your local or even not so local vets to give a talk on some
aspect of ferret having..  and publicize the daylights out of it...then have
a prominent donation can front and center..and do a very short bit asking
for any donations anyone would care to give to help keep the facility doing
its public service... this is great exposure for vet or TF rep.  [Dr. W I
imagine..he gave a great talk when I heard him] Or a short series of little
presentations, like one a week, on everything from bathing to nail trims to
ferret proofing to whatever..no admission...just part of your education
efforts..but any donation..etc.  etc.  and be sue someone is there with your
shelter line set up to offer it for sale as well..with a prominent sign
talking of what your shelter does and that all proceeds go to help it do
those things..  Do an article a week on some aspect of ferretry...and send
it in to the editor to be used as a filler in times of little news that
day..they will give you length and format data and be glad of the filler
stuff..and this can develop into a ferret column in a heartbeat if you are
witty and informative and give great advice and info... remember..if it
boosts circulation..sells papers...it will be a hit..  no problem!

Fix up containers with a simple clear label...that you can request pet
stores and vets and anybody you think of including supermarket check out
stands put by the registers that discretely solicits donations to contribute
to the funding of your rescue/shelter...with adorable picture of a ferret of
course and a little text..like 'Won't you help us to help this sweet little
girl/boy find a home of his/her own?'''Any donations a gift of life."

and the shelter name etc.  below in small print... I spent a solid week
putting together, with a willing teenage crew, over a hundred cans and then
turned them loose to place them..those kids were more creative than I ever
could have been [who would have thought of the local gun stores..not I!] and
the cans brought in over a thousand dollars in the first month alone..and
that was for a sanctuary [no kill] that was endangered.  and fuzzys are
cuter any time..not to mention smarter, and better tempered..oops, there I
go again...Me Prejudiced???  You bet!

as to non-profit status....first and most critical,,keep detailed and
accurate books..  ask your local chamber of commerce for help in getting the
necessary paper work together..they might not have it but they know who does
and can give you invaluable free help..  and remember..non-profit status can
be awarded retroactively..so those books will be critical when the time
comes...then hop around the net and drop questions till someone notices and
sends you the sites where you can learn all the perks and privileges of
non-profit status..and they are many and very valuable in hundreds of ways..

 TTYL..dayna  :]
 dayna frazier   102046,3162