From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 09:47:40 -0400
It may be the insulinoma that is causing the hair loss.  Endocrine diseases
can cause hair loss - with ferrets it is usually adrenals but i have seen
uncomplicated insulinomas cause hair loss - is the ferret bald?  it may be
the heat or it may be seasonally.  Dr T. Lightfoot mentioned in a lecture
this year that part of the adrenal syndrome can begin with a season hair
loss that progresses to hair loss with out regrowth.

The adrenals may be big - but they may not be producing abnormal amounts
yet - I would follow along and see what the levels are in 3 months.  if
increasing might need sx.  I have seen some adrenal tumors that do not
produce elevated hormones.

good luck.

Ben A. Otten, DVM
651 North Terrace Ave 3J