From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 20:49:58 -0500
A blood glucose level of 20 is extremely low, and a very powerful indication
of insulinoma.  Insulinoma is caused by a tumor (or tumors) on the pancreas,
which causes an over production of insulin.  The results can be deadly.

The best treatment so far, is to surgically remove the tumors and a portion
of the pancreas as well.  We just had one who had 1/3 of the pancreas removed
during a second operation for insulinoma.  One-third was also removed during
the first operation.

It is usually not a complete cure.  The surgery will prolong the life and
the quality of life.  I believe the average life is over 420 days or so
(with medication) after the surgery; but I know of ferrets alive after 2
years.

Treating the disease strictly with medication such as pedipred, will relieve
the symptoms for a while, but surgery is usually the very best option.

Dick B.  - not a vet