From:
Chrystal Eshelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 00:23:07 -0800
Hi All,

In regards to HIV patients and pets, it is my understanding that they cannot
have cats due to their immune deficiency.  I saw this somewhere on the net,
but cannot at this point remember where.  I do know that I have metatstatic
malignant melanoma stage IV and due to my repressed immune system I am
allowed a dog that does not have fur..i.e. a poodle and my oncologist
allowed me to have the ferret also.  One of the problems with the cat is
their litter box and the diseases they carry in their feces.  Ferrets do not
carry these same diseases.  I just have to be really careful that if Bozlo
were to get the flu or a cold I do not catch it from him.  Since he only
sees my husband and I regularly, this is not a problem so far.  I do know
that cancer and HIV have many of the same attributes and am sure this is why
they are to be very careful in picking their pets.

Chrystal
My email: [log in to unmask]
My webpage: http://www.pe.net/~chrystal/