From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 13:59:48 EDT
I needed to tell everyone that if you get an email from me with any
attachment do not open it and please delete it.  I am not infected (I
have a Nortons 2002 and scan clean... Nortons can detect all the new
variants of the Klez virus and such worms), but if you get an email that
looks like its from me and it has an attachment -- its not from me, and
is most likely infected.

Let me explain further, there is a Klez spoofing virus in a ferret persons
computer that is sending this virus out in my name (unknowingly).  This
has happened to others as well in the online ferret community (and
others!).  Let me explain how it works.  ex: "John Doe has a virus.  His
computer sends out the virus to Jane Doe, but the computer gets another
name out of John's addie book and makes it like Jane sent it out ( to say
someone such as say Jim Smith).  So then Jim Smith thinks Jane Doe has
sent it when they she did not and it was in fact, John Does computer that
did." So be very careful.... it could look like your best friend sent you
something (a zip of something, a patch, an execute, or game, etc), but
that may not be the case.  Okay?

It's obvious that its a ferret person in my case, because so far, this
thing has only been sent out to ferret people in my name.  I have three
other account holders and nothing has been sent out in their names in this
computer.  I have a big addie book with various groups (autism, etc)...
ferrets being only one..  and nobody else has gotten anything even in my
name.

For those of you who are skeptical about me being infected:

1) people have been sent this virus in my name I have never even heard of
   (people I have no connection to)
2) people have been sent this virus in my name when I was offline and not
   connected for four days
3) I've changed my passwords and looked at aol addie files for passord
   stealing trojans, and found nothing
4) There has been no record of any outgoing email from this account in my
   outgoing folder
5) The Symantec scanner on their site scans clean, as well as Nortons 2002.

I just wanted to be sure you all were aware of this.  My plain email of
course is safe.  But I do not send out attachements unless I am planning
on sending a photos (which is rare).  So if you see one, don't open
it....it won't be from me.  I wanted to ask in addition, that:

1) everyone please update their definitions in their antiviral programs
   regularly
2) everyone scan vigilantly and often please
3) if you have no antiviral software, get some
4) if you have no money to get software you can go to Symentecs (Nortons
   site) and have a free scan done from their site.  In addition, you can
   download from cnet and zdnet antiviral software that is free (its not
   as good as Nortons, etc, but it would help as a back up for using
   Nortons free scans).

Most of all I wanted to thank everyone who has taken the time to write me
to let me know when they have recieved infected email that seems to have
been sent from me.  I wanted to thank everyone for understanding.  I
wanted to thank everyone for being so calm, cool, and polite considering
such stressful circumstances.  You are the best!!!

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on ferret deafness: