Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:11:19 +0000
Greetings Everyone-

I wanted to keep everyone updated on how Oreo (LuvU) the ferret who
had his leg amputated.

It has been one week today and he is a little trooper. He always uses
the litter box or corner potty area when he gets a few minutes to hop
around the room. A hind leg amputation is quite a challenge compared to
a front leg amputation considering weight distribution and elimination
stances. Heck he has even learned to tilt to the side when needs to
pees (like a dog picking up a leg against a tree) so he doesn't whiz on
him self. He only falls over a bit when he is trying to pee and poo at
the same time (imagine the muscle control and balance). But now he is
learning that it he leans against the back or side of the high backed
litter pan instead of backing up, he won't fall over when he poops.

Last night I let him come out with the nice group of ferrets to keep
him mentally stimulated from getting too cage bound during his
recovery. He has graduated from five minutes out, to ten minutes out
to fifteen minutes out. (I checked with the vet and she said it was
ok to do this).

I let them all have some ferretvite (which I'm usually pretty stingy
with as I have so many ferrets with insulnoma). LuvU (Oreo) hopped
right over to get him some and I was happy to see him interested in
something besides soup. I have offered him other treats but he hasn't
been interested in them. After a few minutes I felt the usual sensation
of a ferret trying to climb up my leg and bounce up and down. Oh, my
gosh it was LuvU (Oreo) pawing and playing with my leg. He did what
I'm guessing is his version of a little war dance!

We then had a little session of playing in a plastic bag and he was
mouthing at me playing and pawing with his front legs. He was actually
being a bit fresh and I feigned horror at how "scary" he was being to
moma's hand. I was so happy I didn't care that I still had my work
clothes on and kneeled down to play with him and tell him what a good
boy he was.

Playing, he was actually playing! I was planning on posting an update
last night to the FML but it got late and I headed off to bed with a
smile on my face for the first time in a week, hopeful for his
recovery.

I want to continually thank so very many people who have emailed me
with well wishes, suggestions, stories of their three legged wonders
and especially Rose German and Eleanor Mead who both put up items
on eBay to help with his steep medical bills. There are many other
wonderful people who sent a little something through the mail and
paypal as well. Added up with the dry dook soup items and cards I
put up on eBay, I am half way to paying for his surgery.

Last week was a tough rescue /surrender week with Oreo's (LuvU)
amputation surgery, a baby ferret found in a dumpster and three ferrets
who came from the shelter passing away unexpectedly. By God's hand Oreo
(LuvU) is recovering, Sage has gone from the dumpster to finding a new
family to love and we provided a suitable ferret cage, outfitted it
with Rose German's bedding (Little Feet Ferret Retreat), food and a new
ferret (Oreo's sister Mina) for a new ferret buddy. And we were able to
provide comfort to those whose ferret suddenly went to the Bridge. One
of who is a little boy who has lost his second ferret in six months and
was quite sad. We are sending two young healthy ferrets to that family.

Just when I hate people for the awful things they do or let happen
to these wonderful balls of fur, I am warmed idespite the bitter New
England wind by those of you who really care and have reached out to
help Oreo.

Diane Wall
South Shore Ferret Care