From:
"Andrea Miralia (moonferret)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 1994 21:58:41 -0500
Dr. Williams said:

>         If you feel that Abby is not a surgical risk,and would not live
 through
> such an operation, then perhaps you should not risk it.  If money is an
 object,
> Dr. Tom Kawasaki in Woodbridge VA, will do it for less than $300 (and he has
> done many more than AMC.

I returned today from Woodbridge.  Dr K ususally charges something aroung
160  for adrenalectomies.

My ferret, Frito, went in for adrenalectomy.  Dr K also checked him for
insulinoma and lymphosarcoma.  Frito made it through surgery but his
temperature dropped that night- I was glad he was with me, as he needed
emergency care.

PLEASE if you go to Doctor Kawasaki's hospital, BE AWARE THEY ARE NOT a
24 hour clinic.  Your ferret WILL BE ALONE overnight.  After surgery,
this could be risky.  Frito had heart problems- so I refused to leave him
alone there.  He made it through the danger period after adrenal
surgery... but unfortunately developed pneumonia at some  point during
his recovery.  In only a matter of three days, he went from recovering
from the surgery to not knowing who I was.  I was very glad the people at
the 24 hour clinic  (Woodbrdige Animal Hospital, NOT affiliated with Dr.
Kawasaki)  were so kind and able  to give Frito all the care he needed.
I had to say goodbye to  my dearest friend this past Sunday.  The
pneumonia was quickly overtaki g him, and I couldn't stand to see him
suffer.

It was no one's fault.  However, I wish Dr. Kawasaki had come to see
Frito when he promised he would. (The morning after the surgery, I moved
Frito from the emergency clinic to Dr K's hospital, and had to wait for
him for an hour and a half.  He never showed up, and because Frito
started to go into shock, I left and took him quickly back to his
incubator at the 24 hour clinic.)

Dr. Kawasaki is a VERY knowledgable vet.  However, NO ONE ELSE at his
hospital knows how to do ANYTHING for ferrets.  I'm serious here.  I had
to ASK for a THERMOMETER so that *I* could  take Frito's temperature
while we watied for Kawasaki to show.  Kawasaki is great, but his staff
leaves much to be desired.  I'm sorry to post this--  but it's very
necessary.  If you plan on having Kawasaki do the surgery (and he *will*
do a good job) make sure you do it in the beginning of the week.  He
takes off every Friday and Monday (or at least he did this past week).  I
wish I had known this before scheduling Frito's surgery for Thursday.

Again, Frito's pneumonia was no one's fault.  He needed to have the tumor
removed.  I just wish Dr. Kawasaki's staff had been more attentive.

On a happier note, I met an 8 year old ferret  while we were there, who
was getting surgery for insulinoma for the THIRD time.  He was a real
sweetie...  teeth down to here --->  and skinny, but he was ready to
wrestle with Frito's brother and sister (joon and Ben).

The people at the 24 hour clinic (Wodbridge Animal Hospital) - especially
Dr. Dunn- were increidbly kind to Frito during his last few days.  If
anyone ever finds their ferret  needing *nighttime  or weekend* care
after a stay with Dr. Kwasaki, I recommend them with all my heart.  They
made saying goodbye to my little three and a half  year old a less
painful experience.

----  [log in to unmask]  (Andrea M.) [log in to unmask]