From:
Debbie Hunton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 11:12:21 -0700
I would like to add my personal experience on ferret vets to Sukie's
post.  With my first ferret, I thought I had found a good ferret vet.
Then she got sick, and I began to realize that he was not at all what
she needed in her health-care provider, so I went looking for a truly
good ferret vet.

After Sukie's quoted comments (of which I'm only commenting on a few), I
am listing my experiences with the bad vet, and with the good one:

>Don't make changes that affect health without the treating vet first
>okaying them.

BAD:  When we said we wanted a second opinion on his diagnosis, he got
      upset, but finally said, "Tell me who to send the blood test
      results and x-ray to."

GOOD: He actually asked us regularly what we had observed in her.  He
      stated frankly, "You see her everyday, you know her behaviours
      better than I do."

>Ask questions, ask questions, ask questions.  This is so important.

BAD:  When we started questioning him, "Why do you think she has adrenal
      problems?  She has no hair loss, no vulva swelling, etc," he stated
      that he was the vet, and he knew best.  He refused to answer our
      questions.

GOOD: See above.  Also, he answered every single question with detail,
      kindness, and no hostility.

>Say "thank you"; vets don't hear that as often as they should.

GOOD: When our first ferret died years later, and we got two new ones,
      our vet sent another of the office's vets in to see us.  We asked
      for him specifically, and when he came in, he said, "I didn't
      think you'd want to see me after we were unable to save her."
      I felt so bad the he thought we'd blame him!

One last comment: When we asked about adrenal testing and/or surgery with
the first (bad) vet, he said, "Why bother?  You've already spent more
than the value of this animal."  Can you imagine!?!?!?!?

Debbie