From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:44:34 -0500
Several things occurred this weekend which conspired to corrupt my mailbox,
crashing it down among my ears.  First, I got a whole lot of mail, which is
generally typical, except I didn't have time to download it.  Second,
someone (and I don't know who it was because I couldn't open my mailbox)
sent a HUGE 7+MB file which made my showme mailbox dump old files and
bounce new ones.  The showme mailbox only holds 5 MB, about half of which
is dedicated to ferrets, the other to my school projects.  I couldn't even
download the file because PINE forces me to save it to a separate file
before downloading.  I had to have the computer geeks go in and erase it
for me, because I was caught in some sort of feedback loop where PINE
locked up and wouldn't do anything.  They said it wasn't supposed to
happen, but my mailbox is evidence it did.

The sort and long of it is I lost a lot of mail I was about to send (Fellow
Ferret Geek stuff, email responses) as well as a lot of new mail.  If you
sent something important and I haven't responded, assume it was lost in the
great crash of 1999 and just resend it.

I want to stress that I am not upset; mistakes happen.  I did the same
thing to myself when experimenting with sending large files to Mary and
Eric at Modern Ferret.  I am forced to upload a file, send it, and erase
the copy in sent-mail prior to uploading the next one if I decide to use
PINE to email large files.  The problem is not the Mac at home or the
computer at school; it's the size of the mailbox in PINE.  PLEASE, before
sending ANYTHING larger than 1MB, email me first so I can I clear out the
mailbox and prevent this from happening.  And if you want me to see
something larger than a MB or so, set it up as an ftp file and I will
directly download it, which solves the problem.

Bob C and 18 MO' Crashing Pine Ferts