From:
Jaime Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:22:39 -0800
I can't believe it-- got my "VIA" magazine the other day (AAA's CA member
magazine) and saw a reference to pets travelling.  (For those of you who
don't know AAA- they provide automobile insurance and also travel services
in the US.) It had some good tips about travelling with pets and mentioned
FERRETS!  I thought that was pretty interesting, considering they're
illegal here in California... Although maybe they only used "ferret" to
keep the "F" alliteration going in the first sentence (see below)...

I know this is a subject that's come up before (travelling with pets) so
here's some excerpts from the article:

"Planning to take your feline, fish or ferret on an upcoming flight?
Knowing your airline's pet rules and regulations before boarding is the
best way to ensure a smooth trip.

Most airlines permit one or two pets (excluding service animals) in the
main cabin for a fee.  Your pet should be at least 8 weeks old and weigh
less than 15 pounds and its kennel must fit underneath the seat in front
of you.  Last year, United banned pets from traveling as checked baggage
and has extended that policy indefinitely.  Southwest only permits service
animals.

Extrememe summer heat can make traveling in the baggage area unsafe for
your pet, and some airlines, such as American and Delta, do not permit
pets as checked baggage from May 15 through Sept. 15.  Travel with pets
is best during morning and evening hours throughout the summer and during
the middle of the day in winter.

Cargo is another option for transporting your pets (America West doesn't
allow pets to be shipped as cargo).  Most cold-blooded animals must be
shipped as cargo.  Prices vary depending on the destination, kennel size,
and weight of the animal.

Wehter you carry on, check, or ship your pet, its kennel should have a
leak-proof bottom, proper ventilation, ID tags, "Live Animal" and "This
End Up" labels, and most importantly, enough space for your pet to move
around in freely.  If your pet needs to be fed during a flight, attach
food and feeding instructions to the outside of the kennel and secure
empty food and water dishes inside.  To prevent injury, no part of the
animal's body should be able to stick out of the kennel.

Remember to contact the consulate or local government of your destination
to learn about regulations for bringing in pets-- some places, like Great
Britain and Hawaii require extended quarantines.  When possible, book a
non-stop, direct flight and reconfirm 24-48 hours before your scheduled
departure.  Most importantly, allow plenty of time at the airport before
your departure to solve any unanticipated problems."

 -- from VIA magazine, March/April 2001

I've never travelled with pets before, but it all sounds like good advice
to me!  Except I don't understand why they would require cold-blooded pets
to travel in cargo- does anyone know?  They have no ability to regulate
their own body temp except with the outside air, I thought, so shouldn't
they be in a climate-controlled space?  Maybe cargo is climate-controlled?

Jaime