From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 13:27:13 -0800
Hi,

Chinese polecats sound very interesting.  The name itself is exotic.  What
do they look like, or, in brief, how do they differ from our US domestic
ferrets?  Do they get along with domestic ferrets?  I'd be interested in
one, but I've been told that seven ferrets is to remain at seven - sigh...
Seven is a handful, really, though, a handful, but a blast, too.

My SO and I have been speculating about one of our ferts being a polecat!
Partially tongue in cheek but he IS different, the polecat that is.  He came
from a university training program; he was anesthetized regularly as a small
body to teach medical students how to use tubes in throats to anesthetize
babies - poor guy, this lasted two years.  Percy came from the same program
and he and Schroeder Boat have been fast buddies from day one, even though
the vet assistant there said they'd never been together, just gazed through
mesh.

Schroeder has big, buggy eyes; walks kind of like a crocodile (bit of a
sideways hip and torso sway); has huge ribs; is very scrappy, or wiry, seems
more muscular; and is INCREDIBLY territorial.  He's also very social with
us, though doesn't want to be held unless he's sleeping.  Plus he wakes up
really fast, unlike all the six other little guys.  Am I dreaming?  I've
never seen a polecat, but he certainly has odd characteristics.  Also, very
playful.  He was rolling over and over in the vet cage at the university
when I picked him up.  And he still loves to roll in play, in begging or in
general delight.  He's our little clown and his new nicknames include lots
of polecats.  The university has no information on his origin.

Thanks for listening,

Lynn, SO Janos, Wellington the cat, and the fearless furred Gang of Seven