From:
Roberta McCanse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 13:28:37 -0500
Troy Lynn has reminded us that there will be a wonderful conference
here in Kansas City Oct. 20 - 25 at Crown Center's Weston hotel.
Speakers will be coming from all over the world to talk about animal
rescue and the animal/human bond. Although the full registration is
$635 those of us who shelter or volunteer for animal rescue groups
can get the entire 5 days for a special rate of $100.

There are special events at the WWI museum, the jazz district, Union
Station, a tour of the Purina plant in St. Joe, and it looks like they
find a way to feed you every day. Transportation is provided including
a one day pass on our express bus system so you can visit the Plaza,
etc. And if you are a nurse, vet., etc. you can earn CEUs. We can
probably provide sleeping space for a couple of people, more if people
want to sleep on the floor, and we have ferrets here to play with.
The hotel is pet friendly and people can bring their dogs (and maybe
ferrets?). They even provide a special doggie bed.

This looks like an ideal opportunity to network with others who care
for animals and learn more about the ways in which we bond with our
rescues and fuzzies. We are thinking about wearing big buttons that
say, "My ferret is not a wild animal!", or "My ferret is rabies
resistant!", or, as Sharon suggests, "Stop being mean to my ferret."
(Well, maybe not that one.) The link to the conference is:

http://www.rechai.missouri.edu/isaz_hai09.htm

If you decide to come give me a call: 816-842-3707. Worth the trip!

Bobbi McC
KC Ferret Hotline and Shelter