From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:30:21 -0500
Except for the personal encouragemnts and support I've made, I've generally
held my tongue regarding Kodo and Bob J.'s tribulations.  I've done this
because I've long realized I'm more of a Patrick Henry than a Thomas
Jefferson; at times my poetic verbage hinders a cause rather than advancing
it as it is intended.  I'm a catalyst, not a leader, and sometimes the smart
thing to do is put the damn gasoline away.  I think that time is past now,
and will no longer hold my tongue (or fingers from the keyboard.  Lucky
you...)

This is not an issue about rabies, nor if Kodo has rabies or not.  It is an
issue about power; the power of the state to dictate public health.  The
fight to test Kodo is not because the officials actually think rabies is a
problem, rather it is to prevent precedent from being made which could
possibly erode their percieved power base.  Simply put, they don't want to
give in on Kodo because they are afraid others might try the same thing.
Additionally, there is probably a hidden agenda in which ferrets are
percieved as dangerous animals, and this type of harsh and controlling
action is seen as important in controlling their owners.

Because the state always reacts to maintain power and control, this little
incident was bound to happen sooner or later; if not in Michigan, then
somewhere else.  In the past, the vast resources of the state has
overpowered any attempt to fight for rights, but in this single case, Bob J.
found allies to fight with him.  And fight well they have, better than
anyone before them.  Still, I'm sorry to say he may well lose, not because
his cause is unjust, or from a wavering in his dedication, but simply
because the state stacks the cards against him, and his resources are so
limited in comparison.  But Goliaths have been brought down from time to
time, and bullies always flee from even a mediocre defence, so hope for the
future still exists, even if the present skirmish is lost.

Just as the state sees this as a deeper issue than a single ferret, we must
also realise we have a deeper issue as well.  I've brought this up before,
and have been singed by the flaming tongues of the opposition; still, the
Kodo Incident illustrates the overpowering need we have for a national
organization to fight for the rights of ferret owners.  To be our advocate
in these matters.  An organization with enough political and financial might
to squash these petty biocrats when they begin to think democracy means
fascism.

Of course I am yet again calling for a truely national organization.  I'll
be blunt; it would need the support of the existing organizations; they
would be either subsumed within the new organization, or allied with it.
And I'll be even blunter; there is not a single existing organization that I
think could do the job.  Each and every one is crippled by political
infighting, turf-fighting with other organizations, or just poor or
nonexistant leadership.  As far as I am concerned, most could go to hell in
a handbasket before I would become a part of them; they seem to feel
fighting over standards or what breeder is going to sell what and where is
more important than truely important issues, such as rabies or legalization.
When I have brought up this issues with some of them, often the first thing
I hear is, "Who would be in charge?  I don't want so-and-so to be an
officer..." Gad, people are worried about politics while ferrets are facing
the gullotine and worse.

From the amount of mail I receive, it appears many people on the FML like or
respect my opinions.  It is very flattering, but in truth, I stand on the
shoulders of giants, such as Dick Bossart, Troy Lynn Eckart, Pam Greene, Pam
Grant, Bill Gruber, and many many others I can't mention because of space
limitations (please don't be offended if you are a giant I failed to list).
I'm just a firebrand, a malcontent, a troublemaker.  These people are the
leaders.  Me, I would be happy being the 2nd alternate assistant in charge
of paper plates on odd months.  So my saying we need a truely national
organization, one lacking the political crap bogging down the existing ones,
is not a move for power, self-importance, nor ego.  I just honestly think it
is a necessary "next-step."

Ferrets are illegal in many areas.  It would be a primary job of a national
organization to combat ferret free zones.  Ferrets have a very bad public
image; again, it would be the job the a national ferret organization to
educate the public about ferrets.  Rabies and responses to ECE, distemper,
and other diseases would be a job of such an organization.  Of course, show
standards and shelter/breeder guidelines would be an important aspect of
such an organization.  Is ANY organization doing use jobs nationally?  To be
honest, I think FML members have fought more national fights than any single
existing organization: Kodo being perhaps one of the best examples.  It
would be interesting to see how much effort was made by FML members for Kodo
compared to any existing "national" organization.

If we want people to understand ferrets are not "just another fad pet," then
we need a national (or international) organization to prove it.  We need an
advocate for ferret issues, like rabies or FFZs.  If we want to stop
Marshall Farms from early spay and neutering, then only a national
organization will be effective.  We need to look at history and learn some
lessons; civil rights floundered until a national organization was formed.
Without national support, who would have heard of Sarah Parks or Caesar
Chavez?  They would have been just forgotten names, and nothing would have
been changed.  Lets not let Kodo be forgotten.  Win or lose, now is the time
to build an organization that advocates our rights, one not mired in mud
slinging or political posturing.

In the past, I've asked for nicknames, and thousands were posted.  I've
asked for limericks, and scores were penned.  I've asked for "sayings" and
many were sent.  Now I'm asking for FML members to make their opinion known
on this subject, especially you lurkers.  Post your opinions on the matter;
why you don't like the existing clubs, or what you want from a national
organization; anything that shows an interest (or lack of one).  Show the
leaders among us that it is worth the effort to form a constitutional
committee, and start the process moving.

The alternative is the status quo; Kodos will happen again, ferrets will get
heads lopped off, towns will become FFZs, national media will protray
ferrets as evil nasty things, and each crisis will prompt donations and lots
of faxes, which is nice in the short run, but very very wasteful in the long
one.  And if you guys don't want one, say so, and I'll put down the gas and
loud enough to rip the hairs out of my middle ears, all the while thinking,
"This must be the 80th time I've explained ferrets are mustelids, not
rodents...."

Let's do this. Post your opinions, fight for what you believe in!

Bob C and 17 Mo' Troublemakers