Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 07:53:32 -0400
Hi,

Well for the fourth time in about 6 months Oakley has managed to rip out
his hind toe nail at the root.  I am becoming very experienced at clipping
hanging nails off and using polysporin and hydrogen peroxide!

The first time it was ripped out was in a fight with another ferret of
mine.  Since then, it grew back yellow and brittle and very weak each time.
The other times it has ripped out I don't know how it occrred but I can
only surmise that due to the fact of its weakness and his putting pressure
on it, this is happening with relative ease.

I am getting worried about it and have to take Oakley to the vets today
anyway so I am going to talk to them about my options.  Although I am 100%
against declawing any animal, I am considering asking them to take this
nail out at the root so this does not happen anymore.  I know of another
member of ours who had the same problem and eventually their ferrets foot
got infected and they had to have 2 toes removed.  I am concerned that if
this nail continues to be pulled out the same will occur with Oakley even
with my being carefull.  At the same time, I am aware that I run the risk
of infection and swelling if I take the nail out surgically.

I would like to know if anyone out there has encountered a similar problem
and what they did about it.  I know I could also have this nail clipped and
cauterized to slow down its growth and just do this on a regular basis but
that seems radical too.  I feel like I am between a rock and hard place
regarding this toe.

I am not trying to start a debate about whether declawing ferrets is good
or not because as I said I am 100% against it.  This just feels like an
extreme situation and one I had not anticipated encountering.  If anyone
has any other ideas as to how I can approach this problem I would love to
hear them.  It must hurt my poor guy everytime he pulls the nail out and
there is blood and the risk of infection.  I am only trying to figure out
what would be the best thing in the long run to do for him.

Thankx