From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 20:27:29 -0500
A number of health departments are taking the as-yet-unofficial CDC
guidelines to heart and making immediate changes in policy.  New Jersey,
Michigan (!) and Virginia Beach, VA have all announced they are putting 10
day quarantine policies into effect immediately.

It is important that these changes be made known to all of us as quickly as
possible, so that we can use them as ammunition for getting our own state
and local health departments to implement them as well.  It is also
important that these changes are CONFIRMED, not just rumor.  If you have a
change to report, please note the source of your information.

We suddenly have incredible momentum on our side.  I hope we can use the FML
to keep us all informed.

By the way, I plan to call the Ohio Department of Health tomorrow.  The
state public health veterinarian told me a few months ago that they would
follow CDC recommendations.  I plan to hold her to that!!

Also remember quidelines and recommendations are NOT law.  Laws will still
provide us and our ferrets with the best protection.

Congratulations everyone!  All our phone calls, email, faxes and publicity
made this happen as much as the results of the shedding studies.

Linda Iroff
North Coast Ferret Shelter
http://www.oberlin.edu/~liroff/ncfs.html