From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 12:08:32 CST6CDT
I'm sure some of you are waiting to see what I have to say on this subject
so here goes but remember this is only my opinion and not meant to sway
anyone either way.

I would not suggest exposing any ferret to ECE of any age.  I would suggest
everyone be as informed as possible about it so if it does happen you will
be prepared and knowledgable.  This is, of course, only my opinion.

I am so forgetful lately.  Actually I wasn't like this before ECE.  So does
that tell you something???

Imagine coming home to sick ferrets with diarrhea everywhere and nothing you
do makes them feel better and the diarrhea continues.  There was a time I
never thought we'd have fat ferrets again but here almost 5 months later we
do have.  And only 4 skinny ones that are eating but need supplements to
fatten up.  All the others have fattened back up and look healthy again.  It
broke my heart to see them in such a horrible condition and nothing I did
helped.  They are feeling well now, most of them, but they sleep a lot and
we still have some diarrhea.  Poor babies.  I would never expose any ferret
to this illness knowingly.  Can you imagine having the real influenze for 5
months?  Vomiting , diarrhea, no energy, not feeling well.  That's what I
would imagine it would be like.  I came down with influenza when we were
into week 3 and I was so sick all I could do was take care of them and go
back to bed.  I think I somewhat know what they feel like.  It is terrible.
Nope, I'd never purposely expose a ferret to it.  Never.  Not even one.

(Disclaimer: I am not an expert and can only go from personal experiences as
well as what I've heard from others)

Hugs. tle