From:
"Michelle Lattanzio (ENG)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 14:24:06 -0500
With regards to the question about ferrets and cats getting along, I have
not heard anything about ferrets attempting to kill cats if they feel
threatened.

I have one cat and two ferrets, and they all get along reasonably well.  The
cat (Cuddles) is twelve years old, and generally prefers to be left alone.
The ferrets are one and one half years old (Chesire) and eight months old
(Bear).  When Cuddles sees the ferrets out of their cage, she usually
retreats to high ground or a bedroom if she does not want to play (we close
bed and bath rooms off to the ferrets).

If Cuddles feels frisky and wants to play (occasionally), she will romp
around the house with the ferrets -- both parties bat at each other, stalk
each other and occasionally make ferocious noises, but no one hurts anyone
else.  They just play and have fun, and when Cuddles has had enough, we
either let her into the bedroom or she gets on top of her "throne" (a huge
hassock that the ferrets cannot climb).

We introduced them slowly, showing much attention to both cat and ferrets,
five minutes at first, gradually increasing the time limit.

Within 2 weeks, they accepted each other tolerably well.

So far, so good. . . best wishes,
Michelle, Chesire & the March Bear