From:
DONALD AND ELEANOR MEAD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:31:08 -0500
PLEASE, ALL FERRET OWNERS, for your ferret's safety,PLEASE, everyone, do
yourself a HUGE favor and invest in a few toy dog balls with very loud,
piercing squeakers in them.  Train your ferrets to come to the sound
(they will actually run to you- I think they feel it's a kit in trouble
or something), even if you have to squeeze the living daylights out of
the toy to get them to respond.  Always treat them after coming to you,
till they're used to it, with a little ferretone or ferrevite.

This could save their lives-It has helped me find my ferrets when I don't
know where they are, hiding in the bedroom (and of course I go into a
mass panic if they don't respond almost immediately).  Twice, I had a
ferret escape outdoors through a dryer vent hose (plastic, which they dig
through, that was immediately replaced with heavy duty, hard aluminum
and a no escape vent on the outside of the house).  I tried everything
including shaking his can of treats.  I had planned on sleeping outside
that night if I couldn't find him.  I came up with the idea of using the
loud squeaky toy and within a minute or so, there he was trying to bite
my ankle!  He was bleeding with cuts on him, something, most likely the
outside cat got a hold of him.  We rushed him to the vet where he was
treated and okay!  THIS SAVED HIS LIFE!!!!!  PLEASE EVERYONE, I FEEL THIS
IS VERY IMPORTANT TO DO WITH YOUR FERRETS!!!!  ( that aren't deaf ).
PLEASE DO THIS.

Eleanor